I am an international relations & social development specialist, with substantive international experience managing multi-stakeholder processes, complex intergenerational programmes and dynamic training and campaigns. My experience includes 17 years of designing, managing and implementing a comprehensive portfolio of youth and community initiatives for the public and private sectors, the United Nations, NGOs and the media with a strong focus on youth empowerment and political participation.
- Project Management;
- Training & Methodology Development;
- Advocacy, Policy & Research
- Intercultural Communications & Social Media
- Events Planning & Management;
- Facilitation & Stakeholder Engagement
MA Global Diplomacy
School of Oriental and African Studies, University of London
2018 – 2020, London, United Kingdom
Youth, Peace and Security Expert Consultant
Folke Bernadotte Academy (FBA)
Feb 2020 – Present, Stockholm, Sweden (Part-Time Remote Work)
- Conceptualise, design and facilitate training modules on YPS programming to UN staff and government officials.
- Strategically advise FBA advocacy and engagement with UN field operations regarding the operationalisation of the YPS agenda at local, regional and global levels.
UN Youth Advisor in Somalia
United Nations in Somalia
Jun 2015 – Dec 2019, Mogadishu, Somalia (Full Time)
- Designed the UN Youth Strategy for Somalia 2016-2020 and overseen its implementation, comprised of U$ 54 million dollars in investments.
- Coordinated the Inter-Agency Working Group on Youth, with representation from 25 UN entities, the World Bank and AMISOM.
- Advised the senior leadership of the Somali Government and the United Nations on youth issues, policies and programmes.
- Coordinated events, capacity building workshops, outreach activities, communication materials and engagement campaigns.
Strategic Advisor, Youth & Livelihoods
United Nations Human Settlements Programme (UN-Habitat)
Dec 2014 – Jun 2015, Nairobi, Kenya (Full Time)
- Coordinated youth mainstreaming throughout UN-Habitat’s programming and policies, leading the development of new youth programmes in Ecuador, Nepal, Brazil, Kenya and Somalia.
Foreign Affairs Advisor
National Youth Secretariat, Presidency of the Republic of Brazil
Oct 2013 – Dec 2014, Brasilia, Brazil (Full Time)
- Mainstreamed youth issues in policy papers and represented Brazil at multilateral events, including the UN General Assembly, CPD and CSocD.
- Managed the relationship between the Federal Government and the UN system in Brazil regarding youth policies and programmes.
Youth 21 Consultant
United Nations Human Settlements Programme (UN-Habitat)
Jan 2012 – Oct 2013, Nairobi, Kenya (Part-Time Remote Work)
- Coordinated the Youth 21 initiative, which strengthened youth participation in the architecture of the UN. Advocacy events held in Nairobi, Rio de Janeiro, New York and Oslo.
Global Power Shift Organizer
Aug 2012 – Aug 2013, Istanbul, Turkey (Full Time)
- Managed a 10-day global gathering of 500+ youth climate activists. Identified, selected and and prepared international participants and developed the programme methodology.
Rio+20 Children & Youth Engagement Consultant
United Nations Dept. of Economic and Social Affairs (UNDESA)
Apr 2012 – Aug 2012, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil (Full Time)
- Coordinated the engagement of children and youth in the Rio+20 process. Managed all aspects of the planning for the Youth Blast – Global Youth Conference for Rio+20 that gathered 3000 young people for a three-day programme.
Rapporteur & Youth Strategy Consultant
United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA)
Jul 2011 – Dec 2011, New York, USA (Part-Time Remote Work)
- Coordinated the development of UNFPA Strategy Paper on advocacy opportunities for youth SRHR issues in the Rio+20 process. Organized youth strategy meetings in New York, Istanbul, Bonn and Indonesia.
United for Climate Zambia Lead Consultant
Apr 2010 – Aug 2012, Lusaka, Zambia (Part-Time)
- Managed all aspects of the implementation of the country-wide programme, including recruitment and training of national youth facilitators.
Youth Empowerment Expert Consultant
Nov 2009 – May 2012, New York, USA (Part-Time Remote Work)
- Coordinated the activation of UNICEF’s Climate Ambassador Programme in the country offices of Denmark (December 2009), Italy (May 2010), Mexico (November 2010) and Brazil (May 2012).
Institutional Development Manager & Special Projects Coordinator
Peace Child International
Aug 2005 – Aug 2010, Buntingford, UK (Full Time)
- Managed the organisation network, field offices and affiliated groups in more than 150 countries. I Managed also the overall planning and coordination of all aspects of content and logistics for the events of the World Youth Congress series in Canada (2008), Slovenia (2009) and Turkey (2010).
Editorial Advisor, Columnist & Correspondent
Jul 2003 – Jan 2009, São Paulo, Brazil (Remote Work)
- Provided editorial advice on issues and trends concerning young people in Brazil (2003-2004). Published biweekly column and over 30 articles on sustainable living, volunteering, sports, political participation and climate change (2004 to 2009). Coordinated the first-ever “NO CAPRICHO” youth festival attended by 15.000 participants. (2005).
Leadership & Volunteering
Centre for Urban Youth Research (Carleton University)
July 2020 – Present, Canada (International)
Youth Climate Leaders (YCL)
May 2020 – Present, Brazil (International)
Co-Founder & Member of the Board
Aug 2012 – Present, Brazil (National)
Elected Member of Board of Directors
CIVICUS World Alliance for Citizen Participation
Sep 2013 – Aug 2016, South Africa (International)
Member of Board of Directors
Global Call for Climate Action (GCCA)
May 2013 – Nov 2015, Canada (International)
Co-Founder & Executive Director
Change Mob Collective
Oct 2010 – Dec 2014, Brazil (International)
Elected Representative for Latin America and the Caribbean
UN-Habitat Youth Advisory Board
Nov 2008 – Feb 2012, Kenya (International)
Member & Focal Point
UN Major Group for Children and Youth
Nov 2004 – Oct 2013, (International)
YouAct – European Youth Network on Sexual and Reproductive Rights
Jan 2008 – Dec 2012, Holland (European)
Co-Founder & Elected Member
Municipal Youth Council of Santos
May 2003 – De 2004, Santos (Municipal)